In the cemetery of Vialfrè there is a Roman bell-tower, with a large mannofora and a bifora,which was probably designed and built by the same architects who built the bell-towers in the Fruttuaria and in the Church of S.Stefano (St.Stephen’s Church) in Ivrea.
This XII century bell- tower is further evidence of the importance of Vialfrè in the Middle Ages. It is the bell-tower of the ancient parish Church dedicated to St.Peter.
The main buiding is 12 ‘footsteps’ long, 6 ‘footsteps’ wide and has 2 altars.
In the past cemeteries were built around the village Church but after the Napoleonic laws of 1700 they had to be moved far from the village.In the case of Vialfrè, since the parish church was 100 ‘footsteps’from the village,it wasn’t necessary to move the cemetery but a wall was built all around it.
The inside of the building still maintains its charm even if it has been completely stripped of all its fittings and and paintings by thieves.
Unfortunately many of the ancient tombstones that were on the lawns around the Church were destroyed during a recent restoration of the cemetery.